Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

The Quiet Room

Blank walls. Blank floor. Painted white. Carpeted white. So silent.


      Bzzz…

The electric hum of the bright florescent lights overhead hum away like an ever-present swarm of bees.


      Bzzz…


I don’t know how long I’ve been here. They won’t tell me. In fact, I can’t even remember why I’m here; They won’t tell me that either. I look up then, blink a few times to release myself from the torrent of thoughts and stare at the wall before me.


      Same as the other three.


Standing, I stretch my crossed legs and glance quietly around the empty room.


      No bed. No blanket. No pillow. No nothing.


They would simply keep the temperature at a comfortable 70 degrees Fahrenheit all day, all night; it’s not like I could tell the difference anymore. Turning back to the wall, I stare at it. There’s nothing else to do but stare at walls.
      I walk closer to it and press my hands to its smooth, cool surface. It feels funny. As ludicrous as it sounds, it’s true! Like something is a tad out of place. I put my cheek to the wall.


      Listen.


There was a soft, almost indistinguishable droning purr emanating from it. My eyes grew wide and I jumped back a little. With suspicious and probably crazed eyes I watched it intently, waiting for something, anything to happen.


      Is it… Talking to me?


No! It’s a wall, you idiot! A wall! C’mon, don’t go completely out of your brains.


      Too late.


But I continued to gawk at the plain white façade. I, angst-ridden and apprehensive, watched it, serious and somber.


      Quiet.


Ringing.


      A loud flutter.


It sounded like a million birds all taking off at once, all flapping their wings fervently around my ears. I remember only once seeing birds. I must’ve been ten or eleven, holding someones warm hand and watching a gazillion pigeons swarm around my handful of bread crumbs. I was intrigued by those birds, but now I cupped my hands desperately over my ears, frantic to make the sound go away.


      A voice.


It came hushed at first then grew louder and louder and louder… The voice was screaming rage in my brain; screaming so loud…


“I’ll prepare you for a sick, dark world.”

Over and over.


      “Shut up!” I bellowed at the top of my lungs.
My legs gave out from under me and I collapsed to the rough white carpet. Arms flying I racked them against the wall, trying to make a sound louder than this voice.


“—Sick, dark world.”

      “Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!” Shaking my head vigorously I toppled backwards.


“Prepare…Prepare…Prepare…”

White hands flocked my vision suddenly.
      The words continued.
Walls towered.
      Birds flew.


Then…
      Nothing.


=-=-=


I awake.


      Same room. Same buzzing lights. Same four walls.


I lay still on the white carpet for an eternity and try to remember.

      Something. Anything. My mind is blank. No recollection.

Sitting up and blinking the spots away, I stand. Cold shivers run along my bare shoulders and exposed hips. Terror jumps through my veins as I realize with immense fear that I am clothed with nothing. Nothing at all. Not even a normal hospital gown. I swing my arms around frantically, trying urgently to cover myself.

      “No! No! No! Be quiet! Shut up!” Screeching and twitching violently.
“—how do you like that?”

There’s that voice again. I recognize it from somewhere; somewhere haunting and dirty, but I can’t recall where.
      Another shudder rolls over my goose bumped skin. Wrapping my arms around the most fragile parts of myself I run towards the wall. The plain white wall. There’s nowhere else to go. My head hurts and I’m confusional-delusional.
      The white wall looms and I tear my arms from myself and smash my fists into the hard barrier dividing me from here and whatever is out there. First new color I’ve seen in I-don’t-know-how-long:


-Red.-
 
So, I’ll be working on three blogs at once.
Comment on ‘em, whether you want them to continue or not, maybe a few outcomes you want for the various characters.
(Like this intensity?)
The story is in your hands.
Enjoy. =)
L.E.

6 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I like it alot. The intensity is scary. :) - M.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) glad you like it. Anything that you'd want changed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. id like to read more into this person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definately. =]
    Any specific requests on what about her you'd like to read about; or do you just want my imagination to run wild?
    (A usual)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent writing. Looking forward to read the next parts! Fantastically weird imagination with nicely honed writing skills... but remember to proofread before you publish :) a few minor errors in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you =)
    and I'll be sure to fix those up,
    thought I caught 'em all!

    ReplyDelete