Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Warm Thunder

Thunder shudders the ground below my bare feet; wind tugs greedily at my hair and the grass under my toes reach hungrily for the sky. Adrenaline sings through my veins; and I sing with it.

I wait, anticipation building.


Face risen to the sky, eyes watching the purple clouds swirl in a vicious dance, those first warm, sweet raindrops splatter to the ground. Heart pounding hard in my chest, I spread my arms wide and embrace it. Embrace the gargantuan artistry of this fervent thunder. Growling in response to my thoughts, the sky erupts dangerously in a series of rumbling snarls; intertwining like a lover, raindrops as warm as August dribble through my fingers.


The mist of rain slowly grows to a sprinkle, then suddenly, the sky explodes and a downpour rips the clouds open wide. Within moments my shirt is drenched and dripping. I look away from the sky’s merciless grin of ferocity and to the brilliant green of the grass that stretches on for miles. These hues of color: purple, blue, green, teal, the clouds afire with red; pulse with life.


Water streaming down my face and across my neck, continuing its path along my collarbone and soaking into the simple t-shirt I wear. I am a meteor, in a breathtaking rollercoaster between time, earth and space, I am free. Dominating, yet so very exquisite, the darkening clouds shudder with a roll of thunder. I stagger back as yet another thunderclap reverberates under my feet.


The tender warmth of the breeze swaying the grass’ outreached fingertips seems to mock the thunders’ power. This is more than I had expected, more grace, more fluidity. My heart throbs in sync with the thunders’ steady thrum of bared-teeth warnings. I watch this vibrant landscape before me destroy itself so elegantly shudder after shudder.


Again taken aback by a sudden explosion in the sky, I watch as a single bolt of lightening shatters the clouds like glass.


Silently, they flutter like broken birds to the emerald earth and I, aghast, succumb to the sky’s mastery and collapse.


This warm thunder has graced me with its inevitable presence.

Somewhere else...

Angry, bitter black clouds swoop in from the west. Their demeaning figures cause me to cower and I stand absolutely still; the beat of my heart fluttering like the wings of butterflies. I feel the need to flee, but my legs simply will not do as I plea them to.



The tree’s sway more and more violently as the clouds near, wind whistles in loud squeals. I want to cover my ears, shut my eyes tight and run far from this. There is no escape and we had both known it from the start. It began in subtly, a gentle warm breeze drifting across sun-warmed skin. Then, as time passed the sun grew hot and the wind rose to unrestrained and destructive levels.


Things I had thought to be calm and beautiful were simply a false assurance of security and care. Maybe I brought this madness upon myself. Blackness soaring from the clouds in torrents of toxic rain reached my tender skin and I screamed out; screamed for help.


Somebody please save me… Save me from something I may’ve caused. Please… I didn’t mean for this to happen.


Thunder roars beneath the ground and my knee’s give out from under my paralyzed body. Lying atop the long grass now streaked with bloody lines marking the signs of distress of soon coming anguish.


I will never leave this behind.


The tall grass reaches for the sky with steady arms, its fingertips graze the surface of the swirling atmosphere. How can this inanimate object reach so far, yet I cannot? One can promise me real love, but I had never listened to the kind words he had to offer; had never paid attention to all the care he had shown me.


Hail erupts from the clouds along with the crack of a lightening bolt. The ice chips shatter to my body, it slashes out holes into the surface of my members. Thin lines of blood slide from the wounds and I want to cry out.


Give me more.


When this storm ends, the damage will never be repaired. Forever my world will hold the scars of what you have done. You knew that this was wrong, yet you followed the temptations you could not resist, gave in to the inclinations of your heart. Did it never occur to you that I could tell?


Perhaps you believed that fear would keep my lips from imparting to the world the truth. I have had enough.


You have not.


The sky continues its tumultuous journey across the small universe I had always called home. For once I had made it my own; I had fixed what I could from the previous earthquakes. Sunlight had begun to shine down on the flowers that I had finally learned how to grow and he had kissed away my tears. Then you snuck into my village and disturbed the peace, made me think otherwise. You made me think that maybe this wasn’t real happiness, that I still had anger bolted inside me. I needed to let it out.


So here it is, me letting anger out from the dead bolt closet. Seems to me you have more violence within you than I.


Passionate, hateful fingers seized my limbs and suddenly I have the extreme realization that I am helpless to your deceit. The hands coming from all directions within the grass pull from all directions and I feel as though I am being held under the toe of your shoe; lying here helpless.


Madness is private. Madness is only an amplification of what you already are.


So, I’ll be working on three blogs at once.
(This is just a taste.)
Comment on ‘em, whether you want them to continue or not, maybe a few outcomes you want for the various characters.
(Not very many characters to choose from in this one, are there?)
The story is in your hands.
Enjoy. =)
L.E.

3 comments:

  1. man i want to know where you get your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alot of what I write just comes from things happening around me, dreams or just plain old I-lost-interest-in-this-conversation-awhile-ago daydreams.
    This particular one, however, was inspired from a very good friend of mine. This person definately keeps this heart of mine sensible and my brain on earth.
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats so sweet. i hope he's good to you.

    ReplyDelete